Happiness is not a matter of intensity
but of balance, order, rhythm and harmony.
-- Thomas Merton

Sunday, February 20, 2011

A Good Weekend


I love to watch movies. Going to the movie theater has been a common family activity for us. It is no wonder that I have a son who will graduate as a cinema major in June. He watches tons of movies and when I talk with him about movies he has looked at them from angles I never would have considered.

I used to believe I liked to watch movies because of their messages but that isn't really true. Most of my life is spent producing something. When I am at home, I am working on taxes, cooking dinner, doing laundry, etc. I can watch a movie at home but I won't fully watch it. I will be doing a crossword or baking cookies or something else that takes part of my attention.

But when I go to a movie theater and the lights go off I can only engage what is happening on the screen. It is a place of complete escape. For two hours I am unreachable and fully engaged in only one thing -- someone else's life.

For me a good weekend includes a movie in a theater and Asian food. Yesterday, after I finished getting my tax information ready for our accountant, that was my reward. We went to Arclight and then celebrated with crab wontons and lo mein. Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment