Happiness is not a matter of intensity
but of balance, order, rhythm and harmony.
-- Thomas Merton

Thursday, July 2, 2015

Key West -- On the Water

We got up slow on our first full day in Key West and ate in our room. We headed down at 9:30 to talk to the concierge and decided on a guided jet ski tour around the island. We each got our own jet ski for maximum fun. 
 
Just getting on this watercraft with my bad knees was a feat.  We weren't able to go completely around the island due to wind on the ocean side.  But I had to navigate enough waves to know that I didn't want to go where they were any higher. It was a blast. I went full throttle on the Gulf side and got up to 43 miles per hour....and still I was the old lady bringing up the rear.  Bryan had the time of his life.

We spent a good part of the afternoon doing our laundry at the local coin laundromat.  I find laundromats hot enough but in a place where the humidity is 75% it is pure hell!

At dinner time we took the hotel shuttle to downtown Key West.  We walked along the pier until we found a bench to rest on while we waited for the sunset.  It was worth the wait but it is hot here.  Had I mentioned that?

After dinner we looked for a place to eat dinner that would have good food and wasn't too loud for us to talk. We settled for a Mexican restaurant called Amigo that makes its own flour tortillas.  I had the fried shrimp taco....which was the best taco of my life....really.  Bryan had 3 tacos -- pork, chicken and beef.  They weren't shabby.  For dessert we tried a half slice of the two key lime pie stores on the island -- Kermit's Key Lime Pie and the Key Lime Pie store.  Bryan liked them best when they were mixed.  I am a Kermit fan.

Back to the shuttle with 40 other people trying to return to the hotel. We made it home on the second shuttle with plans for the third shower of the day.  Did I mention it is humid here?

No comments:

Post a Comment