Happiness is not a matter of intensity
but of balance, order, rhythm and harmony.
-- Thomas Merton

Sunday, April 23, 2017

An Anniversary

One year ago today I lost my beloved husband to a massive heart attack. A friend told me that death anniversaries are worse in the anticipation. All I know is that the anticipation of this day has been horrible. My sister and I are headed to Florence today and I am hoping that the schedule we have planned will get me through this day.
 
A couple months after Bryan died I took off my wedding ring. In most ways I still feel very married. My life and heart were completely intertwined with Bryan's and in some ways always will be. But I have had to fill out a multitude of forms in the last year in which I have had to check single. My wedding ring felt like a painful reminder of all I had lost. I have now gone 10 months without it on my finger.  But as you can see, my body and my skin carry the constant reminder of my loss.  Every time I look at my hand it lets me know that for 34 years I checked the box that said married.

No comments:

Post a Comment