Happiness is not a matter of intensity
but of balance, order, rhythm and harmony.
-- Thomas Merton

Thursday, October 5, 2017

Heading North

I decided not to have hotel food for breakfast and found a restaurant called The Shed.  I am a huge fan of Eggs Benedict and they had so many choices I felt a bit overwhelmed.  I finally opted for Eggs Benedict with brisket and a green pepper hollandaise sauce.  It was magnificent.

I had a conversation with Brett last night and told him I had ended my day in Las Cruces.  He said, "Oh, you should try the Hatch peppers."  I had never heard of those peppers.  So when I studied the map during breakfast I realized I could head north and take backroads to Hatch, New Mexico where Hatch peppers are grown.  So I did.  I have found that traveling alone makes me notice my surroundings more than when I am with someone.  I passed orchard after orchard of trees but I couldn't figure out what they were.  (I asked the woman at the gas station and she said, "You aren't from around here are you?  They are pecan trees.")  New Mexico is a beautiful state no matter where you are in the state.

I made it to Hatch, New Mexico.  The Hatch pepper festival is over Labor Day weekend.  So I missed it.

But I did see strings and strings of the dried ones.

I decided that my next stop would be Santa Fe.  I have never been there.  It is beautiful.  The weather was crisp.  I decided to experience the galleries on Canyon Road.  I thoroughly enjoyed this excursion.

Someone mentioned to me that I might enjoy the Santuario de Chimayo, a Catholic Church and shrine.  So I drove north of Santa Fe to find the church.  The dirt around the church has been said to have healing powers.  Some of the visitors take dirt with them when they leave.  The church replenishes the dirt from the neighboring hills.  I wandered through the site and considered taking some dirt with me to rub on my knees....but I didn't.

From Chimayo I took the High Road to Taos through the mountains.  The aspens are changing color and they were striking amid the pine trees.  It was a beautiful drive and took longer than I anticipated.
I arrived in Taos at dusk with a rainstorm on the way.  I checked into an absolutely lovely hotel.  They gave me a whole suite.  Just when I got to my room the thunder and lightning began.  I had a delicious meal in the hotel and am now sitting by the fireplace in my suite eating pecan pie (the pecans are probably grown here in New Mexico)  and writing my blog.  Aaaah...the life.

No comments:

Post a Comment