Happiness is not a matter of intensity
but of balance, order, rhythm and harmony.
-- Thomas Merton

Monday, May 27, 2024

A Day of Farewells

Our plan was to leave our mooring site by 8 a.m. in order to make the short journey to Chirk Marina and drop off our boat.  Shelly, Sara and Linda made sure we arrived safely.  I stayed inside and did the cleaning jobs so we could drop off the boat quickly upon arrival. We are a good team.  We pulled into the marina and had our luggage off and the trash disposed of by 9 a.m.  

We spent some time catching up with Johnny while we waited for Marcel, the taxi driver who was late to get us to the marina a week before.  Shelly texted Marcel but got no response.  So she called him and ended up waking him up.  Today is a bank holiday in Wales and, as Johnny said, “A lot of people got pissed last night.”  Marcel arrived, admitted to us that we woke him up and then got us to the train station.  Sara and Shelly are going to Alsager to see friends from back home that are also visiting in Wales.  Before they headed to their platform we said our goodbyes.  Linda and I are headed to London.  When we arrive in London she will go to her hotel near Heathrow and I will take the tube to my hotel.  

Sara and Shelly were on a train and gone within a few minutes.  Linda and I had an hour wait.  There were half a dozen volunteers tending to all the lovely flowers that grace this train station.  I approached one of them and thanked her for making this train station so beautiful.  She was delighted.  She pointed out all the murals on the walls and said that a group comes every Monday to tend to the landscaping.  She was proud to tell me that for the last seven years in a row they have won the award for most lovely train station in Wales.  They currently hold the title of most beautiful train station in the UK as well.
Our first train was standing room only.  Our stop in Shrewsbury was about 15 minutes shorter than we thought so I didn’t get to go to the bathroom.  We had six minutes to transfer in Birmingham International so no bathroom stop.  When we got on there the train was absolutely packed and there was no room for luggage.  This is the only way we could manage the luggage.  

The man sitting across from me said that the last train to London had been cancelled so all those people were now on this train.  Actually every train we were on today was crowded.  I guess it is wise not to travel on a bank holiday.  But we made it to London and the first thing I did was find a bathroom.  We grabbed a quick lunch because it was after 2 pm.  Then Linda headed to the taxi stand and I went along to say good-bye and take her photo.  She tried to steal the cab and drive away.  Here is the real truth: The taxi cab driver suggested this very photo.  What a nice guy.

I wandered around the area for a while finally understanding that Euston Square Station and Euston Station are completely different places.  But I got it together and a Londoner even stopped me and asked me how to catch the correct train and I told her!  It was a short walk from the tube to my hotel and took me past the London Eye.  If all goes as planned my sister will arrive by early afternoon and we will ride the London Eye just before sunset.

We are staying at the Royal Horseguards Hotel near Trafalgar Square.  It is a lovely hotel.  I am so excited to take a shower and put my head on pillow that doesn’t feel like cardboard.  I unpacked and then headed out in search of a Tesco and some dinner.  I walked past Trafalgar Square, which has barricades around it and banners that mention the London Championship.  It turns out that the Union of European Football Associations is having their final match in London this coming Saturday.  The trophy will be displayed at Trafalgar Square before it is taken to the stadium to be given to either Borussia Dortmund or Real Madrid CF. 

I found an Asian fast food restaurant and had some miso soup and chicken teriyaki bao before heading back to the hotel and bed.  Chapter 3 of this adventure is beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment