Happiness is not a matter of intensity
but of balance, order, rhythm and harmony.
-- Thomas Merton

Monday, September 19, 2011

Yosemite Now and Then


In the summer of 1966 my family camped in Yosemite. We watched the Firefall from our campground. This picture is from a slide my father took that year.Bryan and I went to Yosemite over 45 years later. We did not camp. We stayed in a room with a king-sized bed in the Lodge. The mattress was so bad we nicknamed it "Yosemite Valley." The National Park Service ended the "Firefall" in 1968. So instead of viewing it we went up to Glacier Point, the place from which the embers were dumped down 3,000 feet. This was our view.
In the summer of 1966 my dad drove the family car through the Wawona Tree in Yosemite. It fell down in the winter of 1969.
Bryan and I didn't drive through any trees but we sure enjoyed each one...even their reflections.
In May of this year I attended a District Pastor's Retreat in Yosemite. There was record precipitation this year. This is how the Bridal Veil Falls looked in May 2011.
This is how they looked in September 2011. What a difference four months can make.
Our schedule got thrown off just a bit today when a tow truck had to tow a car at Glacier Point and blocked our escape for quite some time. So we found ourselves very hungry when we finally ate lunch at the Wawona Hotel. What a blast from the past! When I turned to Bryan and said, "This restaurant reminds me of a resort in a movie." Bryan said, "I was thinking of the exact same thing." It was like Kellerman's from the movie "Dirty Dancing." When we had finished our meal Bryan stood up and said, "No one puts Baby in a corner." We danced right out of there.

No comments:

Post a Comment