Happiness is not a matter of intensity
but of balance, order, rhythm and harmony.
-- Thomas Merton

Monday, March 26, 2012

Lent: Scrabble, Arts and Animals


I'm playing Scrabble for Lent. I joined the Lenten Interest Group playing Scrabble. I have a tendency to become wildly addicted to Scrabble so instead of giving up an addiction this Lent....I am feeding mine.


Yesterday afternoon was the first Blessing of the Animals at the La Verne Church of the Brethren.
I went even though our dog died this year. It is still painful just to think about. But I was glad I was there. It was a nice celebration of the close friendship we share with animals.

St. Francis of Assisi was there.

St. Francis and Zandra made sure every animal was blessed.

As soon as the service was over Bryan and I headed for Los Angeles County Museum of Art (LACMA). Bryan had read an article about a showing of women's surrealist art and wanted to go. Unfortunately, our schedules have never matched well. Weekends are some of the fullest time of my week and it is Bryan's down time. It is often hard for us to find time to be together. When we tried to find a time when we could go to see this art show together it looked like Sunday evening was our only opportunity.

The art was fabulous. Female surrealist art is different than surrealist art by men, especially in the ways women are portrayed. I was fascinated. There was some strong feminist art there! I found this piece with the queen stomping on the bishop quite intriguing.


....and this one of the woman trapped in the home.

But this one was my favorite.
After experiencing the art show we went outside and wandered through the lights.




No comments:

Post a Comment