Happiness is not a matter of intensity
but of balance, order, rhythm and harmony.
-- Thomas Merton

Friday, June 1, 2012

Alaska -- Day Five -- Kenai

It was hard to leave Talkeetna. I posted a picture of the view from our room. We left about an hour later than we planned just because we kept staring out the window.

On the road we found that construction slowed us down. Because of time constraints I only asked Bryan to stop for one picture -- by a lake in Wasilla, home of Sarah Palin.

I wanted to stop in Palmer to see muskox. We were worried about time but we made a quick stop. We saw the babies, mommas, bulls, steers and yearlings. We spent time feeding them before we got back on the road.

We dropped our car at the rental place in Anchorage and went to the bus stop for our ride to Seward. There were four young men who took our luggage and told us we had an hour and a half to find some lunch. We went inside the Anchorage Museum and had a nice meal. When we returned I noticed that my bags were missing. I asked the young men if I should be worried that my bags were not there. It turns out that the answer was, "Yes"! They had sent them to be loaded on a cruise ship. They had that bus turn around and return with our luggage. We left a few minutes late while our whole bus waited for our stuff.

The drive to Seward from Anchorage was breathtaking. Construction put us even further behind. As soon as we arrived we took a shuttle into town to find some dinner. When we returned to our hotel we decided to take a little walk. A jogger stopped us to say that there was a moose down the road. We decided to walk down a little ways so I could use my zoom to get a picture. Before we could get close enough it turned and went back into the brush but moments later it crashed back out and started running towards us. We had read about them last night and learned they were 7 to 8 feet tall and could weigh as much as 1800 pounds. While in Denali our bus driver/guide said that if a moose ran at us we should run fast in a zigzag motion because they really are awkward creatures. We took off but when the moose passed us we quit running. I took this picture of its backside when I came to a halt! I don't need anymore frightening wildlife encounters.

No comments:

Post a Comment