Happiness is not a matter of intensity
but of balance, order, rhythm and harmony.
-- Thomas Merton

Friday, June 15, 2018

The Jordan and Israel Border

I woke up in the desert! I slept well without a lock on my door. Amazing! I couldn't wait for a warm shower to wash off the red sand.  But when I turned on our sink or the shower absolutely no water came out. I looked out our front flap and could see that water was being irrigated onto trees in front of our tent. I assumed they had diverted the water there. Zandra and I waited for the irrigation to stop but it went on forever. So Zandra went down for breakfast but I stubbornly waited. Then like a miracle the water turned on. It was cold but I was still grateful. I thought about the virtue of my patience. I heard the scripture about living water streaming from my innermost being. Then I found out at breakfast that Laurie and Stephanie let the staff know that the water had been turned off. I'm glad they weren't patient like me.

Breakfast left me feeling a bit ill. The food wasn't my favorite and everything was covered with flies. I had toast and still felt unsettled. We checked out at 9:30 a.m.  Saad and our Jeep driver were waiting. I had to climb back up into the back of that pickup one last time. 

Saad was in a teasing mood. He talked most of the way to Aqaba about how women are always late, etc.  He had offered to stop at a Turkish bath on the way. He was sad to see how uninterested we were in that idea. Saad drove us to the Jordanian border. We have to walk with our luggage across to Israel. Saad collected our passports, visas and 10 JD a piece. It was comforting to have someone who spoke Arabic helping navigate the system. We were past the gate in no time without a hitch.

Then we came to the Israeli side. Zandra and Stephanie showed their passports and were sent right through. But somehow my passport was suspicious. Laurie got stopped with me. The supervisor was called. I think it was because of where I'm born. Eventually they let me through. Then we had to go through another passport check. Finally we were all out on the street with our luggage and passports. Thank God I no longer had binoculars to create havoc!

We took a taxi to the airport in Elat. We are flying to Tel Aviv. We went through security. This time they sent me through with Zandra. Again, my passport became a problem. A supervisor was called. I was asked several times where I had been and if anyone had given me anything to take with me into Israel. Then we were pulled off to the side and asked to remove all electronics, including phones. Eventually we were deemed safe and sent off to get our tickets. 

Or next stop was through their version of TSA. My artificial knee set off the scanner. I explained to them that I had a knee replacement and they asked if I had a certificate. I didn't know there was such a thing. Again a supervisor was called. I offered to show her my scar but the look of horror on her face let me know she wasn't interested in seeing it. Eventually I was allowed through. I've learned that traveling internationally with me is a bit risky!

We sat in the terminal's small restaurant for lunch and tried to use their horrible internet.  The plane flight was full, brief and very bumpy. We got our luggage in Tel Aviv and went in search of Bob, our friend, guide and a Near-Eastern archeologist. Bob was waiting for us. 

He and Laurie went off to make our arrangements for a rental car. We have the exact same car as Saad has.  So we know how to load our luggage, lift up the seat to crawl in the back and who likes to sit where. Perfect. 

As quickly as we could we headed out for Caesarea Maritima. However traffic was as bad as the 405 during rush hour. We got to the ruins site at 5:15 p.m. The place closes at 6 p.m. but you can't enter after 5 p.m. We peered through the fence at the theatre and the port. Then we drove to see the aqueducts that brought water from Mt. Carmel to Caesarea Maritima. They are located on a public beach and used as if they aren't an impotant ruin of time gone by. Zandra dipped her toe in the Mediterranean. I don't move well on sand so I enjoyed the sea from a distance.

Back in the car we headed for the Sea of Galilee where we will stay in our hotel (U Boutique Kinneret) for the next four nights. It was late when we arrived and we were tired. The front desk promised they would keep the buffet open for us so we could have dinner. It was pricey but the best meal I've had on this trip. We all headed to our rooms sated and glad to be together in Israel.

No comments:

Post a Comment