Happiness is not a matter of intensity
but of balance, order, rhythm and harmony.
-- Thomas Merton

Saturday, June 9, 2018

Jordan Here We Come

Zandra and I are leaving for Jordan today where we will meet Laurie and Stephanie. We have been planning this trip for almost a year. All kinds of life events made it look as if we might not go. But my knee surgeon gave me the go ahead on May 21 and that is when I finally allowed myself to get excited. I upgraded my seat to Business Class so I didn't have my knee bent for over 11 hours on the first plane flight. I've never flown Business Class before and I'm afraid it might ruin me for all future travels. Plus, I decided to safeguard my trip so I searched for hours and found just the right cane with a foldable seat on it.


Dawna drove Zandra and I to the Claremont Metrolink station.  After Dawna left us Zandra realized she had left her water bottle in Dawna's car. We took the train to Union Station and got the Flyaway bus to LAX. It worked so seamlessly that it felt as if public transportation always runs perfectly. When we got to the international terminal we grabbed our luggage from under the bus and hurried inside to join the mass of humanity also trying to check in. It was after I had my boarding pass in hand that I realized that I had left my cane with foldable seat in the belly of the bus. Part of me was very disappointed and worried that my trip would be harmed. The other part of me was relieved I wouldn't have to lug that awkward thing around. So now we have each left an item behind. We will have to be more vigilant. 

While we were eating dinner in the terminal, Zandra realized that she had been given two boarding passes from LAX to Frankfurt but no boarding pass from Frankfurt to Amman. We hastily finished our meal and headed to the gate so she could get the right boarding passes. Zandra was trying to figure out if we could order a foldable camp stool and have it delivered to one of our Jordan hotels but we struck out. 

Sitting in Business Class is as nice as it sounds. The flight attendants are attentive and never seem frustrated. I had a gourmet dinner served to me on linens, although I wasn't hungry and just picked at it. I watched Ladybird, a movie I have wanted to see. Bose speakers were provided. At 10 pm I took a sleep aid, put on an eye mask, used the ear plugs provided, put my seat completely flat and slept for the next 6 hours. I woke up to the smell of coffee. Even with all this luxury, I am amazed at how exhausting it is to fly to Europe.
We have a six hour layover in Frankfurt. We contemplated taking the bahn into the city. However, by the time we disembarked and each took turns cleaning up in the restroom it was too late to go and get back. We found a restaurant and each ordered tomato soup and apple strudel. Both were better than plane food. Zandra caught up on some work stuff and I read about Jordan. When we felt like we used up or welcome we settled the bill and headed to the B terminal. It was a long jaunt. I got in close to four miles just in the airport.

Near our gate we found some really comfy chairs that allowed us to recline.  I fell asleep  and Zandra worked. When I woke up I took a walk in search of ice tea. I struck out but I did learn that our gate had changed to the opposite end of the terminal. We moved to the new gate and less comfy chairs. Our plane left a full hour late due to thunderstorms in Germany. 

We arrived in Jordan at 3 am, an hour later than scheduled. We hustled to customs and we were met by Muhammad. He already had our Jordanian visas so we got through the passport check very quickly. Then we stood at the luggage carousel for a full hour. Zandra's bag finally arrived but mine never did. Muhammad said that they must have pulled it out because their TSA found something suspicious. He asked me if I brought a weapon. The offending article was a pair of binoculars. They took me into a side room with nine men speaking Arabic, confiscated my passport and took a photo of it. We stood there for quite some time with a man who had walkie talkies for his children in his bag and a student who had a dagger in his suitcase.  I had no idea what was happening.

All of a sudden they walked us to a different room where an official would decide our fate. Eventually they confiscated my binoculars. At that point I could care a less. I wanted a bed and a shower. But it was hard not to let this experience taint my feelings about this country. I brought binoculars because when I go to Mount Nebo I wanted to look out and see the Promised Land that Moses saw when God wouldn't allow him to enter. 

The day before I left my oldest son called. I told him I was nervous about this trip. He gave me a piece of advice: "Live dangerously." I wonder if he was thinking of binoculars.

We made it to the Marriott by 5:30 a.m. The hotel clerk was sure we would need a late check-out. We laughed and said we were leaving at 10 a.m. We are showered and ready to go get breakfast. Day two of our adventure begins.

No comments:

Post a Comment