Happiness is not a matter of intensity
but of balance, order, rhythm and harmony.
-- Thomas Merton

Saturday, August 6, 2022

What's past is prologue. -- William Shakespeare

I pulled the black out curtains in my hotel room last night. This is the first time in this 6-week trip that I have stayed in a hotel by myself for more than one night.  I wanted to sleep in and wasn't sure if I was capable.  I woke up at 9 a.m. -- three hours later than usual.  I guess I need black out curtains at home.  

I spent the morning doing laundry and moving slowly.  I am leaving tomorrow for the Lost Coast of Northern California.  A friend gave me a book with the most scenic drives in the United States and the Lost Coast is one of the drives.  I figured out my route and what I want to see along the way.  Then I headed out to get my oil changed and find some lunch.  

I ate at a brunch spot that was absolutely delightful.  Then I puttered around Ashland.  I like to buy a new pair of earrings when I travel.  It is something I will wear and it will remind me of my trip.  I didn't find a pair that I absolutely loved but I did buy more greeting cards.  I know how much I love to get snail mail and I figure other people probably do also.

I came back to my room and napped.  I am whipped.  It is time to head for home and sleep in my own bed.  I only have two more stops (I think) along this journey.  I am eager to get home and see my friends and enjoy excursions with them.  

I had leftover peach pie for supper.  I went over to the Green Show Stage, right outside the Allen Elizabethan Theater.  The same man was performing tonight.  He played the dulcimer, harp, piano and 12-string electric guitar -- but not all at once.  Most people had ordered pizza to go and were having a picnic and listening to music.

I saw The Tempest tonight.  It was the best production of Shakespeare I have ever seen.  Granted, I don't have a ton of experience.  But the costumes, sound, special effects and acting was excellent.  The way they portrayed the shipwreck at the beginning of the play was brilliant.

I sat on the second row next to a talkative woman.  She is a retired school teacher and shared that she hasn't missed a season at OSF since 1977.  I have been surprised by the small crowds in the theater. She said this is their first season back since the pandemic isolated us from each other.  People continue to be wary of being together.  Plus there is a fire raging just over the border in California that has led to some cancellations of outdoor shows.  She said that a couple weeks ago Covid ran through the cast and they had to cancel shows for over a week.  All of these things have caused lower attendance.  

I walked home in the dark, grateful for this experience.  Grateful for this time in my life when I can venture.  Grateful for time with family and friends.  Grateful.




No comments:

Post a Comment