Happiness is not a matter of intensity
but of balance, order, rhythm and harmony.
-- Thomas Merton

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

The Gift of Art

Matt and his girlfriend, Kairee, are visiting for a few days before they leave for a year in South Korea. Needless to say, I am wanting to spend as much time with them as possible before they leave. Yesterday we went down to San Diego so that we could meet the newest addition to the family, Mackenzie, who is less than 2 months old. Since we were in San Diego already and it happens to be one of my favorite places, we went early and wandered around La Jolla and Balboa Park.
The Nikkigator at Balboa Park

One of the things I have noticed on my trips this summer is all the public art. I told Matt and Kairee that I love public art, even if it is cheesy. I love the fact that I get to interact with art and not pay a cent. I love the fact that something that is not needed is still there just for the enhancement of life.
Toliet seat cover -- Artist's Cafe, Chicago

Matt asked me what defines public art. After fumbling around I finally said, "I know it when I see it." So today I looked up public art on wikipedia. I know wikipedia isn't the final say on anything but here is how it is defined there: ....art in any media that has been planned and executed with the specific intention of being sited or staged in the physical public domain, usually outside and accessible to all. The gate at the La Verne Church of the Brethren is public art. It is not only functional, it is a gift to the community.
Bryan in the International Terminal -- Toronto

Wikipedia doesn't answer the question Matt and I were discussing because it didn't define art. Maybe someone can define art for me. Is graffiti art? Even if it is drawn in 2010 on a B.C. ruin in Greece?

While on this sabbatical I visited the Judson Memorial Church in New York City. Part of their statement uses these words: We think the arts make life worth living and celebrate the secular and sacred in all that we do, including worship and how we use the inheritance of our glorious space. Judson Memorial's sanctuary is plain, as churches go. It has a nice stain glass window in the front. But poetry, music and drama are regularly a part of their services. The need to create art is valued there. I think that is true of La Verne Church of the Brethren, as well. It is one of the many things that makes LVCoB so incredible. Could we do an even better job of naming it and claiming it?

No comments:

Post a Comment