Happiness is not a matter of intensity
but of balance, order, rhythm and harmony.
-- Thomas Merton

Saturday, October 16, 2010

Gratitude for this Extravagant Respite


My last "fling" on my sabbatical has been a weekend at Laguna Beach for my 50th birthday. Bryan and I are staying at a hotel so close to the beach that the sound of the waves makes it hard for us to hear each other. The picture at the top of my blog was taken here at Laguna Beach. For those of you who can't read what it says: In this fleeting moment, what extravagant respite, as booming surf speaks its mystical passage across the undreamed depths.

I am so thankful for this extravagant respite called a sabbatical. I return to work on Thursday. I am rested, tan and filled with ideas. I am a tad bit thinner and I walk a little stronger. I have a few new questions and am saturated in gratitude. I got to spend such good time with my family.... father, sister, brother, sons, husband and extended family. I have been silly, weepy, overjoyed and incredibly moved. I have taken about 3,000 pictures. I will return to work older, bolder and more balanced.

Thank you for the gift of this experience!

1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday, Susan! We look forward to your return this week, and Richard has some cartoons to share with you. LOL, Richard and Joyce

    ReplyDelete