Happiness is not a matter of intensity
but of balance, order, rhythm and harmony.
-- Thomas Merton

Thursday, November 11, 2010

I Love My Secular Holidays!

Today Bryan and I had the day off together for Veterans' Day. Occasionally someone will question why I get Veterans' Day off. It is real clear to me. I get to work on all the religious holidays. I love secular holidays.

Bryan and I went to breakfast in Glendora and then, without any preplanning, we drove north on Glendora Mountain Road. When Bryan was a student of Bob Neher at ULV he had to do a niche study and he did it in the wilderness area down that road. Before we knew it we were on a 22-mile road to Mt. Baldy Village. What a stunning drive on such a clear day. We realized quickly by the amount of trash at all of the turnouts along the way that we must have been the only people in Southern California not to have known about this beautiful drive....even though we seemed to have it to ourselves today.

When we got home I got ready for Ellen Click's graveside service. I had never been to Oak Park Cemetery in Claremont before. What a beautiful place. It was a privilege to be with Ellen's family as they spoke of her love and their love.

Then Bryan and I went to the movies. I love movies. I love watching movies. I love talking about movies. Then we walked over to the Back Abbey. I had not eaten there before. (I would recommend the crab crakes.)

What a perfect day. Breakfast out, dinner out, a gorgeous drive, sacred time and a movie. I love secular holidays.

No comments:

Post a Comment