Happiness is not a matter of intensity
but of balance, order, rhythm and harmony.
-- Thomas Merton

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Story Not Appropriate for a Sermon -- #1

Today I preached about the importance of my story, your story and God's story. I love to tell stories. Here is one of my favorite stories not appropriate for a sermon.

When I first began in pastoral ministry I was 24 years old and a co-pastor with my husband, Bryan, in a yoked parish situation. One of the churches we served was in Michigan City, Indiana. It was a city church without a parking lot. Every Thursday afternoon I led a Bible Study for a group of older adult women in the church. They all parked on the street that ran in front of the church. I tried to park behind all of them so that I could make sure they all got off safely.

One day as we got in our cars after Bible Study I noticed a man who kept walking up and down the sidewalk in front of the church. It seemed odd so I "stood guard" until all of the women got into their cars and then I jumped into my car. As soon as I was behind the wheel, the man came off the sidewalk and stood between my car and the car in front of me. Then he pulled his pants down and began to play with himself.

I felt trapped. Unable to pull out and unable to get help, I sat there in misery. The woman parked directly in front of me, completely unaware of what was happening by her back bumper, put her car in reverse and threw the exhibitionist onto the hood of my car. Oblivious of what she had done, she drove off. I don't know which of us was more surprised, the man on the hood of my car with his naked butt in the air or me. He scrambled down off my car and ran down the sidewalk as he pulled his pants back up.

After I got over my shock I began to laugh. I do think God has a hilarious sense of humor.

No comments:

Post a Comment