Happiness is not a matter of intensity
but of balance, order, rhythm and harmony.
-- Thomas Merton

Saturday, November 6, 2010

A Look Backwards

Bryan and I attended the ULV Homecoming Dinner last night. I was asked to give the invocation and I was extremely honored. The program listed me as a graduate of 1997. (I actually graduated in 1982 and I was grateful for them shaving 15 years off my age!) At my table a delightful woman from the Alumni Office left me a gift of leopard print kleenex. She said she had heard me speak a couple times and so she knew that I could use tissues. My college roommate and I were at the same table. Steve & Ann Morgan were honored as Alumni of the Year. The University had put together an excellent feel-good video. When Steve Morgan spoke he gave tribute to the ULV connection to the Church of the Brethren. He asked those in the room who were part of the Church of the Brethren to raise their hands. Those with their hands in the air were the majority of the room. It was a good evening and I was proud to be a ULV graduate.

This afternoon we went to the Homecoming game. When we arrived the score was 6 to 20 with ULV losing. However, by the end of regulation play the score was 20 to 20. After three overtimes ULV finally lost 26 to 28.

We went over to Ben Hines Field for a tribute to Ben Hines. We sat and ate In-n-Out as the sun began its descent. I came dressed appropriately for a football game in November but unfortunately, I was not dressed appropriately once the sun went down. We didn't stay for the whole event but we came away so impressed by the things we heard about Ben Hines. I have always enjoyed Ben but when I heard all he did to build a field and a baseball program at ULV I fell in love with him.

I went to ULV from 1978 to 1982. I loved my college years. I wish I would have availed myself to more that the college had to offer. But Bryan and I were inseparable all four of those years. Besides meeting Bryan, one of the greatest gifts the college gave me was a chance to try my wings in service to the church. I spent two of my summers in Summer Service. One summer I spent at the Bakersfield Church of the Brethren. Another summer I worked for the La Verne Church of the Brethren. At the end of the summer the church hired me as Youth Director. (The picture on the right is me during that summer.)

This weekend I was reminded of how much I owe to people who have given themselves for the good of institutions that challenge and transform us.


No comments:

Post a Comment