Happiness is not a matter of intensity
but of balance, order, rhythm and harmony.
-- Thomas Merton

Sunday, June 30, 2013

To Annual Conference

Saturday morning we could choose to go back to the Biltmore Estate, stay at the hotel or take a tour with Rebecca as our guide.  I chose to go with Rebecca--34 of us went.  Rebecca did an awesome job of sharing Southern culture with us and teaching us how to say, "The Lord Have mercy."
First we headed to the birthplace on Governor Zebulon B. Vance, one of Rebecca's ancestors.
Zebulon Vance was the governor of North Carolina during the Civil War.  We got a tour of the home where he was born.
Next we got a driving tour of Rebecca's hometown of Weaverville, which was named for one of her ancestors.  We returned to Asheville to tour the childhood home of Thomas Wolfe, which inspired his book "Look Homeward, Angel". 
I enjoyed the tour. It made me want to read that book, now that I have visited the setting for the book.
We were given a half hour to find food and make it back to the bus. Everyone managed to do that.  They are a remarkable group.  Back to the hotel to pick up the rest of the group.  While we waited for everyone to load up, I entertained myself by taking a picture of the sign in the bus bathroom.
Heading on to Charlotte for the culmination of our choir tour I passed the time by taking cloud pictures....again.
Shawn and Nike had us run through the pieces we would sing in worship.  By the time we arrived in Charlotte, I felt better prepared.  We scurried off to our hotel rooms to get on our concert black and meet in the worship hall by 5:30 pm for a sound check and quick run through.  I don't know how Shawn and Nike walk into a new venue and get us all set up and ready each time.  We sang in worship, which went long.  That meant they had no time to go over any music with us between worship and our concert.  With smiles on their faces, they lead us through a great concert.
To celebrate and because we were all hungry we headed over to the Ember Grille.  Bob Dyer shared the epic poem he wrote for our tour and we said our thank yous to those who made this tour possible. The tour was fabulous in every way. I told people I thought it was the first bus tour I had ever been on in which I still liked everyone when the tour ended.  What an amazing group.  So much thanks goes to Laurie for all she did to make things run smoothly and to accommodate everyone's needs.  Have I said how much I like this church?






No comments:

Post a Comment