Happiness is not a matter of intensity
but of balance, order, rhythm and harmony.
-- Thomas Merton

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

New Sunday Schedule

Annual conference this year tried out a new model.  Business was delayed a full day to have us worship together, pray together, and spend time in spiritual workshops.  The day began with a worship service.  The three point sermon was preached by Phillip Yancey around the theme of grace and safety in the church.  After worship I attended the workshop led by Shawn Kirchner on music and prayer.  Shawn's workshop took place on the stage so that he could have a piano.  His workshop was packed.    Extra chairs needed to be brought in.  Still people were standing, sitting on the floor and some couldn't find a place on the stage and sat below on the main floor.  It was a deeply worshipful hour.
For lunch I attended the University of La Verne Alumni luncheon.  I always enjoy this lunch and learn new things about my alma mater.  I am also grateful that the president of the university comes to Annual Conference.
We had another worship service in the afternoon.  The service was a three point sermon by Mark Yaconelli on prayer.  He urged us to begin by slowing down. After the service, my sister and I were scheduled to staff the Brethren Mennonite Council for LGBT Interests booth -- only the second year BMC has had a booth in the exhibit hall.  The booth this year portrays the rapid growth in SCN churches and is sandwiched between Womaen's Caucus and New Community Project.
Each SCN church is represented by a candle.
The Womaen's Caucus booth is always filled with good people.
I skipped out of the evening "concert of prayer". The choir tour schedule has caught up with me and I am not feeling well.




No comments:

Post a Comment