Happiness is not a matter of intensity
but of balance, order, rhythm and harmony.
-- Thomas Merton

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Business at Conference


I still was not feeling great on Tuesday so I got out of the breakfast meeting I was supposed to attend at 6:45 am.  I made it to the Convention Center by 8:30 am because Katrina was planning to speak at the microphone concerning the amendment on Equitable Representation on the M&M Board.  This amendment would have further reduced the representation of West Coast Brethren. I checked in with Katrina and she was ready.  But things had changed overnight.  The Moderator called for more table talk and when people lined up at the microphones Katrina was no longer first.  Several speeches ahead of her were against the amendment (which was also her opinion) so the moderator said he was looking for speeches in favor.  Katrina never got to speak....but the amendment did fail.
I think the thing that has most surprised me about this conference is the lack of vitriolic speeches and the mood of the business.  The business has been peaceful, respectful and thoughtful....at least from my vantage point.  A statement against drone warfare passed and the query on Scriptural Authority was answered by reminding us of our 1979 paper on the subject.  I was grateful for the process.

BMC hosted a worship service in the late afternoon to recognize 10 new Churches of the Brethren that have joined SCN.  
The preacher was Christy Dowdy and her sermon was excellent.  The service ended with communion. I was so deeply moved by the journey we have been on and the welcome to the table that I couldn't stop crying.  The fact that I was sharing this with my sister made me even more emotional.
After the service I hurried back to the BMC booth to staff it until worship began.  I find the booth to be a place of welcome for me.  The evening service was a dialogue sermon between a conservative and a progressive in the church.  Can we stay together as a church?



No comments:

Post a Comment