Happiness is not a matter of intensity
but of balance, order, rhythm and harmony.
-- Thomas Merton

Thursday, October 17, 2019

I Might Be Too Old for This Amount of Adventure -- Part 1

Gayle decided last night that she was at the point in this trip in which she needed to rest and take care of herself. So she slept in. I applaud her decision to take care of herself. I enjoyed a beautiful outdoor breakfast before meeting our guide for the day.

Dumi took me to Victoria Falls for a guided walking tour. It is named after Queen Victoria by David Livingstone after the Makalolo people transported him to the top of the falls by canoe. They are also known as Mosi oa-Tunya, which means "the smoke that thunders". 

It is the very end of the dry season now and so Victoria Falls, the world's largest falls, is at its driest. It is still incredibly impressive. 

Dumi explained that if it was the wet season I would feel the spray at my hotel. During the dry season I still got wet from the spray. 

We walked the length of the falls down to the bridge that divides Zambia from Zimbabwe. People bungee jump off this bridge. Do you see the two tandem ropes hanging down?

I saw other interesting things on our tour. The fireball flower.
Guinea fowl

People whitewater rafting

Lots of rainbows
We returned to the hotel by 10 am to pick up Gayle for the next adventure. In the few short minutes we  were there I saw monkeys

Baboons

And a warthog.



1 comment: