Happiness is not a matter of intensity
but of balance, order, rhythm and harmony.
-- Thomas Merton

Tuesday, October 8, 2019

And We are Off

For a year my sister, Gayle, and I have been planning an adventure. We knew we wanted to travel together but first we had decide where we would go. Eventually we landed on South Africa. It started out as a 2 week vacation but when we learned just how long it would take to get there and then each made our must-see list it became clear that we needed at least three weeks. 

Yesterday, Gayle arrived in Southern California in anticipation of our journey. We took it easy today. We ran some errands and then went out for sushi (I had eaten up my food because I knew I would be gone).

In the afternoon we got pedicures.

My boyfriend, Ken, drove us to the airport. We got through security in no time and headed to the lounge for British Airways. What a fabulous lounge, with a great buffet. We ate, charged our electronics and realized just how tired we are. It takes quite a bit of energy to get ready for international travel.

We fly first to London and then on to Johannesburg. Our plane left a little late. We splurged on Business Class because we will spend 24 hours in the air and because Gayle has back issues. We were greeted with champagne, asked to fill out a card on when we wanted to be wakened, and offered a dinner menu. Gayle and I skipped the dinner but each ordered a different dessert. They were so tiny that the flight attendant referred to them as a suggestion of a dessert. We skipped all the entertainment offerings, reclined our seats to flat and crashed....as best as you can crammed  into a tiny little cattle stall. We were awakened with coffee, beautiful fruit cut up in tiny bit size pieces (a suggestion of fruit) and a croissant. When we finished, the flight attendant asked if we would now like our breakfast. We declined.

We had to go through security...no TSA Pre for us here. We hiked to our airport lounge and took showers. It is amazing what a shower can do for one's mood. We are drinking cappuccinos, eating cucumbers and waiting for our next long flight. Tomorrow we arrive in South Africa.

(Gayle read my blog and asked if it was all about food.  She told me I obviously take after our grandma. I guess she thinks I should write more about her.)

1 comment:

  1. I love reading about the trip. Even though it is just about the flight

    ReplyDelete