Happiness is not a matter of intensity
but of balance, order, rhythm and harmony.
-- Thomas Merton

Thursday, September 9, 2010

New York, New York....my kind of town

I wanted to come to New York City to visit Riverside Church. I didn't want to come alone so I asked my sister if she would come with me. "Absolutely," she said. Since we were planning on coming anyway, why not spend a week and see a Broadway show or two. We promised each other we wouldn't go crazy and wear ourselves out.

So, after 24 hours in New York, how are we doing? Well, I decided before I even got here that I wanted to go to Judson Memorial church instead. Riverside Church is going through a difficult time, following a church fight over the salary offer to a new pastor. I wanted to visit progressive churches that are vibrant.....and not in the midst of a church struggle.

We got up this morning eager to experience New York City. We were in the subway by 10 a.m. Before lunch
we had visited St. Patrick's Cathedral, Rockefeller Center, and Bryant Park. After lunch we went to the New York City Public Library. I got to see a Gutenberg bible and I discovered they have three books by my grandfather. Then we walked the Brooklyn Bridge. I can see why so many people who visit New York City walk this bridge.

We returned to our B & B hot, sweaty, exhausted, and just in time to get ready to leave for our first Broadway show, "Billy Elliot." So much for not wearing ourselves out. We have promised each other to take it slower tomorrow.

"Billy Elliot" was phenomenal. My sister managed to get us tickets on the third row. We could see the perspiration on the upper lips of the cast members. As the parent of a union organizing son and a gay son, I felt emotionally spent when the show was over. "Billy Elliot" alone was worth the trip. The fact that I get to be here with my sister and eat Fair Trade Chocolate just makes it perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment