Happiness is not a matter of intensity
but of balance, order, rhythm and harmony.
-- Thomas Merton

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Limping Through London


At breakfast this morning I watched my son eat beans on toast. I think Brett could live in England on a long term basis. I, however, told him I would visit him but I would could never move here....I need some sunshine in my life.

I twisted my ankle late last night. This is a tragic experience when one has planned a day of exploring London by foot. We started on the North side of the Thames at the Tower of London. We didn't join the insanely long line to venture inside. We were satisfied just to walk past Traitor's Gate and see the holes through which the archers shot their arrows. Then we hiked across the Tower Bridge to the South side of the Thames.

What an impressive city London is. The mixture of old and new boggles my mind. We strolled (I limped) past City Hall, HMS Belfast, the Golden Hinde, Shakespeare's Globe, the Tate Modern and then across Millennium Bridge. We stopped at St. Paul's Cathedral in order to meet Brett's roommate Alice.

After a long relaxing lunch I felt recuperated enough to venture out to the British Museum. The British Museum was high on Bryan's list of things to do while in London. We wanted to see the Elgin Marbles and the Caryatid from the Acropolis in Athens.

What we didn't know was that the British Museum houses the Rosetta Stone. We had several amazing hours at this museum. It was unlike any other museum I have ever explored. No one checked my purse as I entered. There is no fee, although a donation is appreciated. Very few things were behind glass and people were touching everything. At one point I witnessed a father wanting to take a picture of his sons with the Lykian tomb of Payava. The three sons set their iPods on the tomb while he took the picture. Which also points out that pictures were allowed.





We had dinner in an Indian restaurant in Covent Gardens. According to Brett you can find delicious food from many ethnicities but he has yet to find decent Mexican food. We made it back to the hotel and I now have a wrap on my ankle.

No comments:

Post a Comment