Happiness is not a matter of intensity
but of balance, order, rhythm and harmony.
-- Thomas Merton

Saturday, December 4, 2010

My Silver Anniversary


This morning I was completely surprised by a brunch in honor of my 25th year of ordination. As Bryan will tell you, it is hard to surprise me. I had no clue it was happening. There were even silver 25s hanging from the Christmas tree. The group sang me a happy 25th anniversary song. I got to blow out the candles on the egg casserole. We played a Jeopardy game in which each answer had the number 25 in it. People were asked to share what I mean to them. I think I was so overwhelmed I didn't properly thank the group for honoring me in such a surprising, fun and beautiful way. I have been sitting in the glow of it all day.

I was ordained in June of 1985 in the sanctuary of the La Verne Church of the Brethren. Marlin Heckman signed my ordination certificate. John Gingrich preached the sermon that day. Then Bryan and I packed up all the boxes we had been storing in our parents' garages and drove a rental van across the country to Michigan City, Indiana. Because of some of the questions I was asked today I have been contemplating how different I am from that 24 year old woman.

I am so grateful for all the living I have done since then. There really is nothing like ministry. I get to be with people in those truly sacred moments of life. I get to hold babies as the congregation promises to love them and be community to them. I get to be with families as their loved ones die and they speak their words of devotion. I get to aid the congregation in memorializing those who have died. I get to listen to people as they come to new understandings of themselves and their place in the world. I can't thank you enough for letting me be one of the pastors of this congregation. It truly is a blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment