Happiness is not a matter of intensity
but of balance, order, rhythm and harmony.
-- Thomas Merton

Friday, April 15, 2011

Preparing for Love Feast

For the last several days there have been dead bees littering the sidewalk outside my office. Our custodian swept them up. The next time I went outside the sidewalk was once again filled with dead and dying bees. The custodian checked out the attic in the church office for a bee hive but didn't find one. So today the tree trimmers came to cut back the tree right outside my office in search of a bee hive. I don't think they found one.

While they were working I was in my office preparing for Maundy Thursday Love Feast. One man, the obvious extrovert in the group, was positioned under the tree and directly outside my window. He had a pitchfork in his hand. I'm not quite sure what his job was but I think he was supposed to keep errant limbs from breaking through the stain glass of my office.

Since it wasn't a very taxing job he spent the time singing at the top of his lungs. Then he would get bored and tease his co-workers. They completely ignored them. So with the prongs of the pitchfork he carefully removed the cobwebs from the outside of my window. Then he went back to singing and the noise began all over again.

At one point, I wondered: "Does he have any idea that someone is in here trying to prepare a worship service?" So if the music for Love Feast is a bit loud....you will know why.


No comments:

Post a Comment