Happiness is not a matter of intensity
but of balance, order, rhythm and harmony.
-- Thomas Merton

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Remembering the Wonder of Rhythm

Tonight our drumming ensemble had a gig at the Arcadia Public Library. I was nervous because I knew I wouldn't get every beat right. We practiced for a half hour while they kept the door to the auditorium closed. At one point someone said to us, "It is time to open the door and let the people in." I was worried that they would open the door and there would be no one waiting. But there was a line. As others were filing in to find a seat I was heading out to find the bathroom. The usher at the door said to those coming in, "Can you all wait for the musician to walk through?" I was astounded. Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think anyone would ever refer to me as a musician.

Then we were led to the "green room" as people were finding their seats. The concert began with a youtube video that you can find at the following link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVPLIuBy9CY

Then we went up onto the stage and began playing the same rhythm found in the video. Steve Biondo, our drumming instructor and lead drummer, introduced each song and answered questions. We played seven different rhythms. I felt like it was glaringly obvious every time I missed a beat. But this is West African drumming. The only people who would know I had messed up would have to be people who know the drumming rhythms of Kono, Dibon, Djole, Diansa, Favreau, Kuku and Yata. I am guessing there was no one there who knew those rhythms. I remembered the wonder I felt when I first heard a West African drumming ensemble. I was completely awed and knew I wanted to do what they were doing. I realized that there were people in the audience feeling that exact wonder. How cool it was for me to remember that wonder tonight.

When Steve asked us who would be able to be part of this gig I said, "I can't. That would be during Holy Week." But the closer it came to April 20th the more I wanted to participate. How glad I am.


No comments:

Post a Comment