Happiness is not a matter of intensity
but of balance, order, rhythm and harmony.
-- Thomas Merton

Monday, May 23, 2011

Barker Dam


Bryan had the day off and at 10:30 this morning he said he really wanted to go do something. Ever since I saw Jeanne and Marshall's pictures of Barker Dam at Joshua Tree National Park, which they displayed at the Celebration of the Arts, I have wanted to go on that hike. So we just took off. It was cool and raining in Claremont. It was 82 degrees with not a cloud in the sky in Joshua Tree.
When I was six years old, my family took an extended camping trip to California. The only thing I remember about Joshua Tree was that my mother had each of us pick the one that best displayed our personality and have our picture taken next to it. I picked a tree and insisted my mother join me in my picture.
Bryan and I had a good hike back to Barker Dam by way of the petroglyphs.
There wasn't much water at Barker Dam but it was definitely worth the hike. We sat on a rock, drank our water and soaked in the beauty.
We were back home by 5:30 p.m. I had ribs cooking in the crock pot and we had a meal to fit our appetites.

No comments:

Post a Comment