Happiness is not a matter of intensity
but of balance, order, rhythm and harmony.
-- Thomas Merton

Friday, May 27, 2011

Commencement Weekend


This weekend is graduation at the University of La Verne. Thursday evening I attended the Rainbow Coalition Graduation. I was honored to be there and to hear the call to be authentic, be brave and be involved.
Today was Baccalaureate, which was held at the La Verne Church of the Brethren. Father Greg Boyle of Homeboy Industries was the speaker. All I can say is, "Wow!" He said that like the church, the University of La Verne is not a place you go to but a place you go from. We are called to be in the world and we are called to kinship with others. His stories, his deliver and his authenticity inspired me deeply. The sanctuary was full. I got to be up on the chancel with the president, interfaith chaplain and speaker. I was honored. Plus, I played my djembe with the West African drumming ensemble for the recessional. I love doing that!

Afterwards I got to see my high school Sunday school teacher, Betty, and her husband. Their granddaughter is graduating from ULV this year. Betty taught me that God's justice is different than our idea of fairness. Thanks Betty for giving your time to walk with us high school students on our faith journey. I am grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment