Happiness is not a matter of intensity
but of balance, order, rhythm and harmony.
-- Thomas Merton

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Cohort Group Weekend


In January 2006, five Church of the Brethren pastors of college town churches began to meet for support and in search of a heart and mind spirituality. I am fortunate enough to be part of this group. We have listened to each other and prayed for each other. We have learned how well we travel together. Together we have walked with each other through the death of parents, the challenges and triumphs of raising children, the joy of a new relationship, surgeries, district and denominational struggles, and much, much more.
Over Memorial weekend we got together in a lake house in Indiana. (One person couldn't make it at the last minute due to a detached retina. She was sorely missed.) One member of our group wrote a sabbatical grant proposal to bring the group together and was awarded the money. So next to Sawmill Lake we spent a few days trying to make sense of pastoral ministry and soaking in the beauty of lush green landscapes. In the four days we were there, it poured rain on three of them. The lake overflowed its bounds. I enjoyed finding a realty sign for "Pier 13" submerged in the water.
On Memorial Day we went out on a boat. I considered it my job to take pictures of dogs on boats. You would be amazed at how many people take their dogs with them for a day on the lake. This is my favorite...but I wasn't fast enough to get a picture of the dog in the life vest.
I am not sure how I would have made it through the challenges of the last five years without these soul friends. I am glad I didn't have to find out. I just wish we lived closer to each other.


No comments:

Post a Comment