Happiness is not a matter of intensity
but of balance, order, rhythm and harmony.
-- Thomas Merton

Saturday, June 18, 2011

Quite a Week


This has been quite a week. Pentecost worship was a fabulous, blow-out service. Sunday night the Sanctuary Choir gave an incredible concert made up of their favorite pieces. The concert ended with the premier of Shawn's choral version of "I'll Be on My Way." There were over 250 people there, more than were in worship for Pentecost Sunday. I am guessing that over half of them were guests. Our choir inspires us, soothes us and makes us proud!
On Monday night, Brett returned from England. He did his senior year at the University of East Anglia in Norwich, England. When Brett landed at LAX he didn't have a cell phone that worked in the United States and his lap top had been damaged. It is amazing to me that we used to live our lives without either of these conveniences. We finally connected with Brett when he borrowed a stranger's cell phone to let us know where he was. I made Brett and Bryan pose under the men's restroom sign. Can you tell how much Bryan enjoyed having his picture taken?
I made Brett some cookies with fair trade chocolate but the thing he wanted most was a grilled cheese with grilled onions at In & Out! We stopped on the way home.

Loren Bowman died this week. Loren was one of my heroes. I would say he served as a model for me but I am not sure I could ever emulate his quiet patience and his profound brilliance. When I was the youth director of the La Verne Church of the Brethren, back in 1981, Loren was the interim pastor. His efficient administration, soft-spoken leadership, open-minded search for knowledge and unwavering commitment to the church impressed me as I made my decision to go to seminary.

Today I went to a 50th wedding anniversary party. Our West African drumming group played at the party. I love to play with this group but I am always a bit nervous in front of others. Since I am always playing, I never get to take a picture but I asked someone to do the honors today.
It is good to have Brett home. He is positive, witty and a great cook. I haven't cooked all week. Occasionally he will let me put on an apron and cut some tomatoes but mostly he prefers to just take care of meals and clean-up. I could get used to this kind of treatment.


No comments:

Post a Comment