Happiness is not a matter of intensity
but of balance, order, rhythm and harmony.
-- Thomas Merton

Saturday, June 25, 2011

Adventures in Southern California

Monday was an "Adventure Monday"....at least that is what I call it. Bryan is off on Mondays every other week. On some of those Mondays we go on an adventure. That is the wonder and joy of living in Southern California. Bryan suggested the Maritime Museum in San Diego. He said he had always wanted to go there. I did some of my growing up in San Diego and I never went there. There are six boats you can explore. The sail ships, especially the Star of India, are beautiful.
But the submarines were the most challenging to explore. The Russian sub had five hatches we had to go through. It would have been a comical experience if we were watching someone else do it.
Brett demonstrated what it would have been like to sleep in the small bunks.
One of my absolute favorite things to do in San Diego is to go to the merry-go-round at Balboa Park and try for the brass ring. Bryan doesn't like to participate but we had Brett along. I bought several tickets. We watched and waited for the merry-go-round to stop. A young boy got the brass ring and I trashed talked with Brett how I was going to be the next recipient of the ring. When the merry-go-round stopped Brett and I ran for the two giraffes. They are the tallest rides and each of us wanted to win. Well, just in case you ever find yourself at the merry-go-round at Balboa Park you can't try for the brass ring after 5 p.m. This is important information for you to have if you get on the merry-go-round at 5:01 p.m.....like we did.
Bryan and Angie Hostetler share a birthday, so today we went to Laguna Beach to celebrate.
After a delicious breakfast we went for a hike on the beach.
On the way home, on a whim, we decided we wanted to see the Crystal Cathedral. I have seen it from the freeway, but I have never gone there. Bryan remembers attending church there back when it was the Garden Grove Community Church and you could sit in your car and attend worship. It has changed a bit since then.

No comments:

Post a Comment