Happiness is not a matter of intensity
but of balance, order, rhythm and harmony.
-- Thomas Merton

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Homeboy Industries

I heard Father Greg Boyle speak at the University of La Verne Baccalaureate in May 2011. His theology of kinship made so much sense to me. I bought his book Tattoos on the Heart and when I began it I couldn't put it down. It was filled with nuggets of faithful understanding like this: If there is a fundamental challenge within these stories, it is simply to change our lurking suspicion that some lives matter less than other lives.

A couple months later, Corlan and I went into Los Angeles to experience the Homegirl Cafe, part of the Homeboy Industries. I recommend the spinach limeade. I know it doesn't sound appetizing but I had seconds....and thirds. When we visited the gift shop we were told we could sign up for a tour. We did. We saw the bakery, tattoo removal machine, case management, classes and more. We heard the story of the man taking us on the tour and that in and of itself would have been enough to make it an important day. A final trip to the bakery and we came home with goodies.

Today, Corlan invited Homeboy Industries to send us a speaker for our all church luncheon. We heard from a young woman name Dunia.

Dunia trusted us with our story. It was story of courage and strength. We are all kin and we are grateful that she came to spend the day with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment