Happiness is not a matter of intensity
but of balance, order, rhythm and harmony.
-- Thomas Merton

Monday, February 6, 2012

Thank God for Camp



I went to the Camp La Verne Banquet on Saturday night Our youth served the meal and did the "Tebow." It was a good event and I was glad to be there. The food was good, the company was great, the institution we were supporting was excellent and I came home with two solar lamps that now grace my porch.

I grew up in Kansas and attended Camp Mt. Hermon in Tonganoxie, Kansas. There is nothing else quite like camp. At camp I learned :
  • how to work with others to create a fun skit
  • the song "Pass It On"
  • how to row a rowboat
  • how to ready a cabin for inspection
  • how to tell a good ghost story
But most of all I got to spend time with a group of kids my age away from my parents but surrounded with adults who kept us safe and treating each other with respect. I am grateful for the many adults who give up a week of their summer to give our children a good camping experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment