Happiness is not a matter of intensity
but of balance, order, rhythm and harmony.
-- Thomas Merton

Monday, February 27, 2012

A Week in Review

I got a phone call from a college student this past week asking if I was willing to be filmed for a class. She said she was making a film on the connection between the Brethren and the University and city. We set up Tuesday at 2 p.m. for her to come by. She showed up with four other students, a professional camera, two major lights and a sound person. Two hours later they finally finished with me.

The first meeting of the newly formed Progressive Brethren Council met this week at the La Verne Church of the Brethren. We spent two days together reporting where we are, thinking together about Annual Conference and making some initial plans for the fall gathering. The fall gathering will take place at the La Verne Church of the Brethren at the end of October. It will be an honor to host this collection of Brethren.

This past Sunday was the First Sunday of Lent. We have built a sermon series around stones. The worship center and shadowbox did an excellent job of portraying the theme. For the children's story I started a rock tumbler going. At the time of sharing prayer concerns people were invited to place a stone in a large glass tumbler to signify the burdens we share in prayer. At the end of the service we raised our Beth-el pillar and I anointed it with oil. The music fit the theme of dreams and stones.

Last night Bryan and I went to the Taize Service at church. The theme was serenity. Sharyn really know how to create a space for reflection and prayer. As we entered the church, I snapped this picture. What a beautiful church.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan, I had wished I had taken my camera with me so I could take a photo of the sanctuary. Great service. I also do enjoy reading your blog!!

    ReplyDelete