Happiness is not a matter of intensity
but of balance, order, rhythm and harmony.
-- Thomas Merton

Monday, March 11, 2013

Chopped

Yesterday the youth of the church had a Chopped event.  Over a dozen youth were divided into four teams for a re-enactment of the reality TV show Chopped.  They were given a certain number of minutes to create three courses with pre-determined ingredients.  For the appetizer course they were given:  oranges, green onions, almonds and tofu.  For the second course they were given spam, frozen vegetables, asparagus, tortilla chips and a can of fire roasted tomatoes.  Dessert had to include red licorice, popcorn, strawberries, and pie dough.

I had the pleasure to be one of the judges.  I admit that I went assuming that I would have to taste some food that was hard to eat.  Our youth wowed me.  The food was outstanding, creative and beautiful.  I was supposed to just taste what they made us but I wanted to eat the whole plate of food.  Needless to say, I didn't need to eat dinner on Sunday night.

I wish I could show you some of the amazing pictures I took of our youth hustling around the kitchen in their varied aprons making delicious food. But I don't have permission to show the pictures of all the minors in attendance. Suffice it to say, it was one of the coolest events for youth I have ever seen.  They displayed amazing teamwork.  They were undaunted and they showed such originality.  I hope it becomes an annual event. I would love to be a judge again!


No comments:

Post a Comment