Happiness is not a matter of intensity
but of balance, order, rhythm and harmony.
-- Thomas Merton

Thursday, March 2, 2023

Sunshine on My Shoulder Makes Me Happy

When I travel now I look for great bakeries in the area.  Being the mother of a baker, when my son comes to visit we go on pastry excursions.  In preparation to coming to San Diego, I learned of Wayfarer Bread and Bakery in the Bird Rock neighborhood.  This past Monday I placed an order to be picked up today at 10 a.m.  The bakery was begun by Crystal White who worked her way up in the bread department of Tartine in San Francisco.  She opened Wayfarer in 2018.

I picked up my box and took it out to the car.  I always take photos of pastries and bread I buy and then send them to Brett.  He gives me his opinion.  He is not easily impressed but he thought Wayfarer's lamination was incredible.  That is high praise from Brett.  All I know is that they tasted amazing!  We devoured the cinnamon bun croissant and after tasting the rest we decided we also loved the kumquat chamomile cream bun and the blood orange scone.  Gayle and I were covered....literally covered....in croissant crumbs.

We were deliriously happy that the wind and rain are gone and the sun is shining.  We headed to La Jolla Cove, which was a favorite place of our mother. 

Wildlife abounds at La Jolla Cove.  The cliffs of the cove are covered with pelicans and Brandt cormorants.  

The Brandt cormorants were sitting on nests.  

We smelled the sea lions before we saw them.  They were everywhere....on the rocks, body surfing and playing in the waves.

We sat on a bench and watched for a while before we headed down to the children's pool at La Jolla. The beach was closed but the harbor seals hadn't gotten the message.

We had reservations at George's on the Cove.   The view was amazing and the food was nourishing.

After lunch we drove up to the top of Mt. Soledad and enjoyed the 360 degree view of San Diego.  We had fun pointing out Mission Bay, the Coronado Bridge,  Torrey Pines, Mt. Baldy, etc., etc.

I love Coronado Island.  Bryan proposed to me on the beach on Coronado Island. We headed across the Coronado Bridge and found parking next to the beach.  I got chairs out of the trunk and we sat near the water. 

There had been a sewage leak and so no one was allowed to swim or surf.  A wind surfer rode up and down the beach on the sand since he couldn't get in the water.

Gayle found shells and got her toes in the water.  We got a little pink from the sun.  It was glorious!

We made arrangements to see our brother Gary and his family tonight.  His son, Jason and wife, Hollie hosted the whole family at their home.  We got to see our grandniece, Mackenzie...

...and our grandnephew Ryder.  

We got to spend time with our niece, Bree and Gary's wife, Rae.  We ate Mexican food and we each left with rocks from Ryder and having purchased Girl Scout Cookies for the road.  Family is wonderful and we felt embraced and loved.

No comments:

Post a Comment