Happiness is not a matter of intensity
but of balance, order, rhythm and harmony.
-- Thomas Merton

Friday, March 10, 2023

Throwback Thursday

The rain was predicted to begin at noon today.  It was gently raining when we got up.  Last time I was in Monterey I almost bought some Mexican pottery for the outside of my home.  I decided to go shopping and Gayle opted for some R and R.  I went down to the Cannery Row section of Monterey.  A large statue sits outside the store I wanted to visit.  

The inscription says that it portrays the people who vital to the evolution of Cannery Row.  You can see Steinbeck at the very top (with a seagull on his head).  The girl below him is one of the call girls of the madam of Cannery Row who was known of her "generosity, and her girls."  I thought it was such an interesting choice for a statue.

I found the piece I wanted but it was large and heavy....and expensive.  I decided I didn't have anywhere in my car to put it right now.  I bought a jigsaw puzzle instead and went back to our AirBnB.  

Gayle and I spent the afternoon working on the puzzle.  The rain kept us indoors.  

We had a reservation for dinner at a restaurant overlooking Lovers Point.  We braved the weather and headed over.  The wind was whipping the trees around and it looked miserable outside.  It wasn't the picturesque meal we planned.  The food was good and we headed home with plans to check out the predicted weather for our next day's trip to Montara.  I wanted to make a parking reservation for Muir Woods National Monument when we get to our AirBnB in Muir Beach.  But, alas, we were foiled again. 

At 7 p.m. we lost power and with it our wifi.  Gayle's iPhone and iPad were low on juice.  She sat out in the car and charged her equipment.  We went to bed at 10 p.m. with hopes that the lights would come on in the night.  I have a CPAP machine, which I could not use.  I woke up over and over again all night.  I could hear the wind howling outside.  The lights never came on.  

No comments:

Post a Comment