Happiness is not a matter of intensity
but of balance, order, rhythm and harmony.
-- Thomas Merton

Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Day Eleven -- Imerovigli to Oia

It is hard to sleep in here...at least for me. It is so beautiful I want to go outside and enjoy the view. Greek breakfast is served to us on our porch, sometime after 8:30 a.m. We called at 8:20. 
 
During breakfast we decided that we would like to walk from our hotel to Oia, the town at the north of the island. The man at the hotel desk had told Matt and I on the first day that we should try Taverna Katina for amazing seafood. It is at the harbor at the base of Oia. Bryan and I hiked from Fira to Imerovigli seven years ago. I figured I was up for the challenge and I wanted to spend the day in the joy of family. We took off and there was a new beautiful sight around every corner. 
 
We stopped along the road at one point to get something cold to drink and I looked up the distance on Google Maps. It said we had walked an hour and we had an hour to go. Plus, the second half looked more rigorous. It definitely was. Brett was so caring and patient with me and my gimpy knees. He carried my things and I used his back to guide me down the steep steps too numerous to count.
 
When we got to Oia we found a little roadside market that sold Ben & Jerry fair-trade ice cream cookies. Matt has only eaten  chocolate that is Fair Trade since he was in tenth grade. We all got one. 
 
Oia is beautiful...
 
with upscale (expensive shops)...
 
and beautiful views of the caldera.
 
When I Google mapped the distance I only did it to Oia but our destination is Amoudi Harbor. I also didn't think about its descent along the cliff, although we can easily see that from our hotel terrrace. I was so spent by this time but we still had to walk these switchbacks down the cliff, which we shared with donkeys and their poop.
 
We finally reached Taverna Katina. After washing my face and sitting in a chair for awhile I could begin to say that the walk was..mostly...worth it.
 
Brendon, Brett, Matt and Jane went to the kitchen to choose a fish. A beautiful, grilled red snapper was brought to our table a little while later. I don't like seafood so I manage these meals with Greek salad, bread and fried zucchini but I admit that this fish was delicious.
 
I knew that the walk back up the hill to the local bus stop was not possible for me. The restaurant called us a taxi. I didn't even ask the price. I would gladly pay whatever the cost to get me home with the fewest steps. On the way home my iPhone reported 20,000 steps, 8.4 miles and 52 floors. No wonder I felt the way I did.  Back to our hotel, Matt and Jane put on their suits and headed for the pool, but it was crowded. So they settled for our magnificent terrace. Brett and a Brendon took naps.
 
The sunset was amazing. We noticed the sailboats enjoying it. That will be us tomorrow. I have reserved a sunset cruise on a sailboat for tomorrow.
 
I made reservations for a restaurant right below our terrace. Brett and Brendon opted to keep resting. They pushed hard in Italy and need to relax a bit. Santorini is the right place. Matt, Jane and I supped outdoors at Mezzo. The owner of the hotel thought it was too cold but we stubbornly insisted and bundled up. It was cold but lovely.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment