Happiness is not a matter of intensity
but of balance, order, rhythm and harmony.
-- Thomas Merton

Monday, May 15, 2017

Pre-trip of the Grand Trip

Today, (which is Thursday) I left for San Francisco. My son, Matt, and I leave for Greece on Friday night from SFO. Being the nervous ninny that I am, I wanted to get to San Francisco a day early. My son-in-law, Brendon picked me up at the airport and took me to the restaurant where Brett, my other son, works. He is busy, busy, busy making desserts and pastries before he leaves on Sunday night. While Matt and I rent a car and explore the mainland of Greece, Brett and Brendon are going to spend a week in Italy. We will meet up on the island of Santorini, where Matt's girlfriend, Jane, will also join us.

Bryan loved Greece. He did a college abroad program in Athens, just before I met him.  It had been our plan to go back there together, which we finally did in 2010. It was a magical time and when we got home Bryan began talking about wanting to go again with his sons and their loves. He would talk wistfully about being on the island of Santorini with his whole family.
 
After Bryan's sudden death last year, we began talking about what we would like to do with Bryan's ashes. I suggested we travel to Santorini together and spread his ashes in the caldera. That is how this trip was born....as an ode to Bryan Boyer. 
 
We did not bring his ashes after I had a conversation with the Greek consulate. Apparently that was an arrogant American idea I had. It doesn't matter. We will memorialize Bryan while we are here. The ashes are not the most important part of this trip.  Remembering Bryan -- who he was and what he loved -- is what matters.


No comments:

Post a Comment