Happiness is not a matter of intensity
but of balance, order, rhythm and harmony.
-- Thomas Merton

Friday, May 26, 2017

Day Fifteen -- Sacred Delos

The guidebooks and the front desk clerk agree. Why would you come to Mykonos and not go to Delos? Mykonos is mostly bad food, beaches, charming streets and partying. Delos is the sacred center of the Cyclades islands and the mythical birthplace of the twins, Apollo and Artemis...and it is about a half hour boat ride from Mykonos. It has been named as a UNESCO World Heritage site. No one lives on Delos now but there were people here beginning in the 3rd millennium B.C.  Matt, Jane and I took the 10 a.m. boat from the old port.
 
We did not hire a guide but struck out on our own. There are suggested routes that take 1.5 hours, 3 hours or 5 hours. The sun was out in full strength. I tried to imagine what this magnificent place was like in its heyday.
 
Most people who have heard of Delos know of its Terrace of the Lions -- a gift from the people of Naxos to guard the island.  The impressive ones outside are copies.
 
The real ones can be found inside the island's museum.
 
It is an extensive site with temples,
 
walls and walls built in many different centuries,
 
statues,
 
impressive homes,
 
frescoes,
 
a theater,
 
and a phallus statue, the symbol of Dionysus.
 
Matt and Jane wanted to hike the steep steps up Mt. Kynthos for what promised to be an amazing view. I stayed below and wandered among the ruins. But I did get a shot when they reached the summit.
 
Back on the boat, the sun and the walk had made us tired.
 
When we got back to Mykonos, Matt and Jane went to our hotel's sister hotel that has a nice pool. I had a scrumptious waffle at the old port.
 
Brett is quite ill, so I stopped at a pharmacy and described his symptoms. They loaded me up with medications. I took Brett lunch and medication before heading to my room for a nap. Later I headed back down the hill in time for the sunset. 
 
I walked around the lovely streets of Mykonos. 
 
I had a slice of pizza, sat on a park bench and soaked up the beauty. 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment