Happiness is not a matter of intensity
but of balance, order, rhythm and harmony.
-- Thomas Merton

Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Day Sixteen -- Traveling to Athens

I awoke early this morning and opened up the door to the little porch outside my room. The fresh air felt nice. I thought I heard thunder in the distance. I crawled back in bed and fell asleep. An hour or so later I woke up to a downpour and water running into my room.   Matt and I ended up in Brett and Brendon's room catching up.  Brett has been ill the whole time they have been here.  He has seen very little of Mykonos.  I ate breakfast with Matt and Jane and then they headed out to enjoy some coffee and a view. 
 
I puttered in my room, packing for the ferry ride to Athens. At noon we all checked out and walked down to the town. Matt and Jane did a little shopping.  Brett, Brendon and I went past little Venice,
 
then up the hill to the windmills we followed a pink pelican.  I have never seen a pink pelican before. I was entranced.
 
With a half hour left before we needed to head up hill to catch our van to the ferry, Brett, Brendon and I sat down at a cafe near the water for some appetizers to hold us over. The service was so slow and the number of water side cafes so numerous that we left and found a cafe that could meet our time schedule. We enjoyed our last few minutes. Matt and Jane shared a souvlaki on a park bench on the beach. 
 
Our Seajet ferry was late. I find the boarding of ferries almost comical. You get in a long queue of people and when the ferry lands they tell you to hurry. They have fifteen minutes to get passengers off and on. People are running up the gangway dragging their bags. They leave the port when everyone is on the boat, most of us still stowing bags in the cargo.  I had reserved seats with a table so I could blog and journal. When we finally found our seats someone was in them but they kindly moved.
 
We arrived in Athens after the rain and walked to the Metro station with all our luggage. It wasn't long before we got off at the Monastiraki stop and walked to our hotel in the Plakka. Brett is still feeling quite ill so he elected to stay in the hotel with a bowl of soup. The rest of us headed to a restaurant around the corner called 2 Mazi.  It was recommended by our guidebook and looked like it was in our price range. Since the guidebook came out it has become a Michelin recommended restaurant. It was definitely more expensive than we expected and way exceeded our expectations.  The meal was outstanding. I had my first tastes of caviar and fish soup. I admit to liking them both. 
 
My room that night had a view of the Acropolis. I sat and stared at it before I succumbed to my tiredness. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment