Happiness is not a matter of intensity
but of balance, order, rhythm and harmony.
-- Thomas Merton

Saturday, April 27, 2019

Friday Harbor

We leave Victoria today on a noon ferry.  We had another leisurely morning.  We headed out to get breakfast and get some steps in.  The restaurant we had chosen was packed so we walked down the street to the Artisan Cafe.  The food was lovely and the place was beautiful.  When we headed back to the hotel we walked past Christ Church Cathedral.  I wanted to duck in to look around.  I said to Matt, "It really isn't a trip with me unless we stop in at least one church for a look around."  He said he liked to go inside churches.  It was okay.  I actually thought the back of the church with the rose window and impressive pipe organ was more beautiful than the front of the church.

















They had used modern art around the outside wall to mark the stations of the cross.  I found this one of Jesus in the tomb to be so bad I had to take a photo of it.

Back outside we hustled to our hotel to check out and make the half  hour drive back to the ferry to Friday Harbor on San Juan island.  On the way there I noticed that a touring group of Jersey Boys is coming to Victoria.  In the cast is a young man that Matt grew up with in N. Manchester, Indiana.  We took pictures of the poster.

Once on the ferry, Matt slept and I did a jigsaw puzzle.

When we arrived in Friday Harbor it was too early to check into our hotel and so I suggested we drive south so I could see Olympic National Park in the distance.  We went to South Beach.  The beach is absolutely covered in drift wood.

It was cold and windy.  Matt tried to skip some rocks with limited success.  We got back into the warm car and took off.  We checked into our hotel, the Earthbox Spa and Hotel.  It was around 3 p.m. and I needed some sustenance.  We walked down and found a restaurant near the ferry entrance.  We ordered a whole trout and shared it.

Then we poked our head into some shops.  Nothing held our interest and so we decided to go bowling. Matt slaughtered me.

The cherry blossoms are everywhere on the islands.  I played in them.

Back in our room we took a nap.  We had reservations for 8 p.m. at a restaurant named Duck Soup.  It was excellent.  I tried oysters in the half shell for the first time in my life.  Loved them!  I have decided to be food adventurous on this trip.















No comments:

Post a Comment