Happiness is not a matter of intensity
but of balance, order, rhythm and harmony.
-- Thomas Merton

Thursday, April 25, 2019

Zodiac Killer Whales

I was up by 5:30 this morning.  It is Wednesday and we don't get to sleep in until tomorrow. We are suppose to line up for the ferry by 7:30 and it turns out it is a half hour drive from where we spent the night.  We got ready in record time and were out the door and in line by 7:15.  It was a long wait before we got onto the ferry.  It wasn't a crowded ferry ride.













Matt read from Roberto Calasso.  I worked on a puzzle and blogged.  We arrived in Sydney, BC shortly before noon.  On our drive to Victoria we stopped at a Walmart to buy binoculars and medicine for Matt's eye.  We had reservations to go whale watching on a Zodiac boat.  We arrived in plenty of time.  Down on the dock we discovered that we all had to wear suits that keep us warm and serve as life preservers.  Matt looked rather dapper in his.  I looked like I was wearing a hand-me-down snowsuit from someone several sizes larger than me.













When I put the hood on Matt said I looked like I worked at Conner Prairie in Indiana.

We sat in the very back of the boat, where it was less bumpy.  Once out of the harbor the boat sped towards a pod of killer whales they heard were over near Friday Harbor.  It took almost an hour to get there.  There were five or six of the whales but they were far apart and spending many minutes underwater. We spent a good hour following them before heading back.

On the way we stopped by an island that had sea lions....

...and bald eagles.

The ride back was freezing.  We pulled back into the harbor around 5:30 p.m.  I felt like my limbs were too frozen to move.  We drove to our hotel, freshened up and walked to a nearby sushi restaurant for dinner.  The goal was for Matt to teach me to like sushi tonight.  The restaurant told us there was a 40 minute wait.  They took Matt's cell phone number and said they would text us when our table was available.  I told Matt there was a place called Fan Tan Alley that I wanted to visit while we were here.  It is just an amazingly narrow alley filled with shops.    We found it!

















After visiting Fan Tan Alley Matt got the text and we hustled back to the restaurant.  The good news is that Matt succeeded in helping me learn to like sushi..  I found out I'm a fan of tuna nigiri.  Who knew?  On the walk back to our hotel Matt said he wanted to stop in the 7/11 and see what different products they carried in Canada.  The answer is lots of ramen noodles and ketchup potato chips!

On our way out a woman in bootie shorts and a sweater (whom we had never met before) said, "Hello, you two!" We said hello back.  She said, "Please stop following me."  Matt said, "Okay!" She said, "You thought I wouldn't notice."  When we got outside Matt said, "In Canada, even the crazy people are nice."  Back in our room we looked at photos from the day and then crawled in bed.














We don't have to set our alarm to get up early tomorrow!


No comments:

Post a Comment