Happiness is not a matter of intensity
but of balance, order, rhythm and harmony.
-- Thomas Merton

Monday, April 22, 2019

Pacific Express

I left church on Easter as soon as worship was over and I got to hug everyone.

I jumped in my car, already packed, and headed off on an adventure to the Northwest.  I left my Easter dress on and drove as fast as I could up the 5 to Oakland, CA.  I picked up my son Matt.   He was ready.  We were gone ten minutes after I arrived.  One of the things we have planned for this trip is to take a piece of artwork to the brother of Matt's former housemate, Jen.  She died in 2016, one month before my husband.  She was an artist and Matt knows her brother would love to have this piece of hers.  So it is rattling in my back seat until we reach Seattle.

We drove three more hours after we left Matt's place.  We spent the night in Red Bluff, CA.  Everyone else in the hotel seemed to have just returned from a rodeo.  We watched John Oliver and Game of Thrones.  I had gotten up at 5:30 a.m. because of all the extra events of Easter morning.  I was tired and fell asleep by 10 p.m.

We got up early and had breakfast in the Rockin' Restaurant next to our hotel.  We could tell as soon as we entered that we were the only liberal, non-cowboys in the restaurant.  The seal for the State of Jefferson hung from the ceiling.  There is a large contingent in this part of Northern California and Southern Oregon that want to succeed from their states and form the State of Jefferson.  We felt out of place.  When the bill came Matt insisted on paying.  He said, "In the State of Jefferson men pay!"  They brought him a pen with a flag attached to sign his bill.

















The scenery in this part of the state is so beautiful. Around every corner was another gorgeous view of Mt. Shasta....home to seven glaciers.













Signs along the way made sure we knew we were in the State of Jefferson.













We checked into a hotel in Beaverton, Oregon.  We stopped here to visit my Uncle Richard.  I haven't seen him since 2010 at a family reunion.  There were six of us at dinner.  My uncle, his first wife and his fifth wife, my cousin David, Matt and I.

Tomorrow we head to Seattle.  It will be the third anniversary of my husband's death.  I am hoping it is a packed day so I don't have to wallow in my grief.


No comments:

Post a Comment