Happiness is not a matter of intensity
but of balance, order, rhythm and harmony.
-- Thomas Merton

Thursday, January 25, 2024

Another day in paradise

I left my curtains open again hoping to catch a sunrise.  I sat on the balcony and let the cool breeze and beauty soak into my soul.  This grand adventure is almost over and I am reflecting back on all the incredible things we have done together.  Thailand is so beautiful and being with my family has been such a gift.
We enjoyed another lavish breakfast sans monkeys and took a walk over to West Railay Beach together.  Matt had wondered last night at dinner if Chinda and I would like to go on an island hopping tour. Both of us are concerned about getting in and out of the boat.  Matt and Melissa noticed yesterday that on West Railay Beach the long tail boats come up to the shore (not a pier) and put down a ladder.  So we headed over to see if that seemed doable.

We sat and watched as people rented kayaks and headed out just as the long tail boats, loaded with day trippers, headed in.  I thought the ladder looked like a great option.  Chinda wants to think about it.  We went back to our hotel.  I called dibs on babysitting Yves this morning while M & M headed out for massages.  Yves and I just looked at each other for a while until he fell asleep.  He is so sweet and I adore being his grandmother.

We headed out to lunch together at the only Indian Restaurant on the island.  The word on the street is that the food is good.  It was.  After lunch Chinda and I went to four kiosks to check on a possible island tour tomorrow.  Repeatedly we heard that long tail boats will not be giving tours tomorrow because of the weather conditions.  It is very windy.  Melissa and Matt learned from the pool bartender that we are in the middle of a change of seasons here.  It is always too windy for longtail boats to head out into the ocean during a change of seasons.  Supposedly next week the wind will go away and it will be perfect weather here.

Chinda got her turn babysitting this afternoon and then we headed out to PhraNang Beach at low tide.  We heard you can walk out to the closest island, Ko Rang Nok, when the tide is out.  It was definitely low tide.  On our side of Railay Beach there was only water at the very tip of the pier.

PhraNang is a beautiful beach area.  I was imagining a sandbar kind of easy walk out to Ko Rang Nok but it is more like a waist deep walk over across sharp stones.

Matt and Melissa headed over.

Chinda watched Yves.  You can tell how windy it is by how Yves’ hat is blown back.

When Matt and Melissa came back from Ko Rang Nok it was Yves turn to enjoy the ocean.

He had a good time.

I tried my hand at taking a family photo.

The sky was lovely and we considered staying for sunset.

Chinda and I sat down under the trees to wait.  But the monkeys were out in full force tonight.  Workers for the resort next to the beach had slingshots and they were trying to move them away.  But the monkeys would not be moved and were so active that rock started to fall down from the limestone cliff above our heads.  We headed back to our hotel.  Matt and I went out and brought back dinner for everyone to eat in their rooms. 

No comments:

Post a Comment