Happiness is not a matter of intensity
but of balance, order, rhythm and harmony.
-- Thomas Merton

Sunday, January 21, 2024

Jing Jai Market

Melissa asked our driver where we could find a good street market.  So today we set off for Jing Jai Market, which specializes in local handmade goods, organic produce, and an incredible food court, all with an eye on sustainabiltiy.  The place was filled with beautiful clothing.  Everyone in our group came home with clothing, except Yves and I.  I like to get jewelry when I travel.  Then when I wear it I think of the trip I took and the people who shared that particular adventure.  I bought two pairs of earrings.  

About halfway through our shopping we availed ourselves of the food court.  We had planned to just get a bite but that was not possible.  I stood in line for the fried pork belly. There is nothing like it.  Matt got more of the incredible sausage and a Japanese okonomiyaki.   We discovered the fried chive patties.  Damn, those things are good. Chinda stood in a very long line waiting for mango sticky rice.  My passion fruit smoothie was the bomb.  If that wasn’t enough I got in a line where you take a red platter and then go down a long line of small options.  I got papaya salad, fried mushrooms, fried vegetables, sticky rice dipped in egg and fried, pomelo salad, donuts with taro inside, coconut balls, pounded sugar cane in fermented seeds, and this adorable little fruit sculptures called Luk Chup that are actually mung beans and coconut milk, glazed in a shiny agar jelly.

It also happened to be coffee week at Jing Jai Market.  There was a huge long, long line of coffee booths, more than I could count.  Coffee is a big industry in Chiang Mai.  Matt got a coffee with ginger soda in it.  

When we had first arrived we noticed an inordinate amount of police officers and even a man with a SWAT jacket on.  Later, a man walked through the market with a long procession behind him.  People who were working the market left their stalls and went running after him with their phones to take a photo.  I guessed he was a Thai movie star but Matt was sure he had to be a politician.  No movie star has a SWAT detail.  Matt was correct.  The new Prime Minister of Thailand chose today to visit Jing Jai Market.  I couldn’t get very close but I did manage to snap a quick blurry photo of him.  

After three hours enjoying this fabulous market we headed home for a brief respite.  Then Matt, Melissa and I headed out to look at art galleries.  I buy earrings when I travel.  Matt and Melissa buy art.  We went to La Luna Art Gallery.  They like a Thai artist named Luck Maisalee and they were especially interested in finding his art.  There was a piece at La Luna.  It was my favorite piece there.  But it was part of an exhibition and not available now.  

We tried a couple more galleries in the same vicinity as La Luna.

Matt suggested a gallery he had found in his research last night.  We headed to Jojo Kobe art gallery.  They had several prints of their favorite artist.  They bought one.

The person running the gallery was glad to have visitors, especially ones who love and purchase art.  He took Matt and Melissa’s photo….so I did also.

We returned home after a successful day of finding things that will remind us of this incredible place and this family trip.  Matt and Melissa ordered a delicious dinner of Khao Soi, fried worms, Thai omelet, etc. to be delivered to our door.  We feasted and packed for tomorrow we fly on to the next adventure.  


No comments:

Post a Comment