Happiness is not a matter of intensity
but of balance, order, rhythm and harmony.
-- Thomas Merton

Tuesday, January 23, 2024

Praya Nakhon Cave

We left Hua Hin early this morning to get to Khao Sam Roi Yot National Park, the home of the Praya Nakhon Cave.  This National Park is 38 square miles, 8 square miles of which are marine areas.  We wanted to get to the cave by 10:30-11 a.m. to catch the sun that shines down through a hole in the ceiling of the cave. Inside the cave is the Khulna Kharuehat Pavilion built to commemorate King Chulalongkorn’s visit to the area in 1890.

It is no small feat to get to the cave.  First we took a boat to Laem Sala Beach.  If we had not taken the boat we would have had to climb Tian Mountain.  

Matt had to help hoist the two old women into the boat.  Thanks to him we made it in.

We have been so hot and this short boat ride was refreshing…

and beautiful.

We landed on this beautiful sand beach where two men were sweeping the sand.  

We had read that the climb was going to be rigorous but this sign made sure we were forewarned.  I debated whether I should attempt it but I have seen photos of the pavilion in this cave and I didn’t come half way around the world not to go.

But it was intense.  Perhaps the most intense hike of my life. I kept thinking that if Bryan was here he would say, “Luuucy!”

Matt and Melissa were carrying Yves.  They would wait for me at intervals and provide me with water.  Bless them.  When I finally got down to the cave floor I was so relieved.  I took a photo up at the last flight of steep, stone steps.  

The first cave had two holes in the top and so vegetation was growing inside the cave.

Next we walked through a darker part of the cave called the crocodile back path.  There are stalactites and stalagmites in that area.

Then we entered the second cave with the pavilion in full view.

The steps up to the pavilion are blocked.

A few kings have visited this pavilion and two of them left their signatures on the wall.

Matt climbed up a hill inside the cave and captured these two amazing photos.


It was so hot inside the cave.  There is no breeze.  The sun was beginning to move away from the hole in the top of the cave and it was getting darker inside.  We headed out bidding farewell to this beautiful place.

The way down was way more treacherous for me than going up.  I took it painfully slow.  A broken ankle or hip would mess up the next part of this adventure.  Matt met me at the bottom of the trek.  I told him that Bryan always took my photo when I accomplished something that seemed impossible for me. So Matt took my photo.  I was so exhausted and hot that it was hard to smile.

We recuperated with some lunch and drinks at a restaurant on the beach and then caught a boat back to where we had left the car.  

We still had a three hour drive to our destination for the day — Nana Beach Resort in Chumphon.  It is a good stopping place for the evening.

Chinda, Yves and I enjoyed being out of the car while Matt and Melissa checked us in.  We each have our own room with two bedrooms.

We were hungry so we headed out quickly to find some dinner.  The person who checked us in said there were a couple restaurants just down the street so we started walking and it started to sprinkle and then rain harder.  We stepped into the first restaurant — Pig Pan.  It is literally on the beach.  We ordered the Thai Barbecue Hot Pot meal.  They brought a cast iron pot with hot charcoals and placed it in the center of our table and then placed a cooking plate over it.  I was careful not to burn my knees!

It was pouring rain, we could see the ocean, and the decor of the restaurant was just funky enough to add to the enjoyment.  

The waitress came and asked to hold Yves.  All the wait staff passed him around and took photos of themselves with him. I went looking for him after a while and found him behind the bar with three women.

It was still raining when we got ready to leave.  The waitress asked us if we would like trash bags to cover us for the walk home.  I was the only taker.  I thought it made sense to hold it over my head but they cut a hole in it for me and I wore it, getting my head wet but keeping my clothes dry.  

It wasn’t how I imagined it but I had a lot of fun walking home like that.  We met a dog on the way back and he just stopped and stared at me like I was insane.  

Back to our own two bedroom suites, I collapsed.  It was a glorious, exhausting day.





No comments:

Post a Comment