Happiness is not a matter of intensity
but of balance, order, rhythm and harmony.
-- Thomas Merton

Friday, January 26, 2024

Last full day at Railay Beach

I was awake at dawn.  It is going to be hard to leave this place.

I went down for breakfast fairly early.  I needed coffee.  Melissa had a video work call in the middle of the night and I figured the three of them would sleep in a bit.  Chinda and I enjoyed the wonders of this breakfast buffet until the family of three joined us. Yves’parents are very tired but Yves was his usually delightful self.

I announced that I wanted to visit Tham Pranangnai (Diamond Cave) this morning.  It is called Diamond Cave because during the wet season the bottom of the cave fills with water and shimmers.  No one else was interested in this little excursion.

I paid my 200 Baht fee for “foreigners” and climbed the few steps to go inside.  

There is a walkway built above the floor of the cave. 

A narrow passage way leads into the main chamber.

You can walk around the edge of the cave.  There were only a handful of people there and everyone spoke in hushed voices.  The bats where all around, communicating in high squeaks that sounded like a room of elementary-aged children giggling because their teacher used the word “rear”.

I had brought my walking sticks to help me navigate the cave, but they were useless with boards that were several inches apart and mostly cracked and broken.

It was so much cooler inside the cave than it was on the walk up to the cave.  The cave is filled with beautiful stalactite and stalagmite formations.

It isn’t a large place and I was back out on the path in about 15 minutes.  The monkeys were awake and performing for the tourists.  I kept my distance.  Signs everywhere say not to feed the monkeys.  So many people were feeding them. I followed these two guys trying to navigate the narrow streets, hauling the dirty linen in need of laundering.

Our resort has a beautiful pool.  I stopped to admire it and wished I had a pool worthy body.

At breakfast, Melissa and I discussed getting foot massages.  We headed out to the main street of Railay.  For $10 a piece we got an hour foot massage that ended with a quick shoulder and neck massage.  I wish I could have one of those every day.  While we were there a woman arrived, delivering food to people who work on the island.  We learned that locals don’t love the food here and find it to be too expensive.  Melissa asked if the woman had any mangosteens.  I would love to try one before we leave Thailand, but sadly, no.  She didn’t have any mangosteens.  On the way back to the hotel we ran into the monkeys.  I try to keep on moving whenever I see them but this mother and baby were just too photo worthy.

We reconnected with Matt, Chinda and Yves and headed down to the restaurant in our resort.  The food there is quite good.  I got Pad Thai for the first time on this trip.  It was exceptional.  After lunch I begged to babysit Yves so Matt and Melissa could do whatever they would like to do on this last afternoon before we start the trek back to the USA.  Yves took a nice long nap and then we danced to Raffi songs and I tried to get him to make an “m” sound.  Both mama and grandma require this skill. I was unsuccessful.  Matt and Melissa used this time without Yves to take a much needed nap.  

We headed back to the Railay main drag for dinner. It seemed way less crowded than other nights.  I wonder if the windy conditions during this change of seasons has deterred visitors.  During dinner Yves tried fresh coconut water for the first time.  

We walked slowly back to the hotel.  I watched the moonrise from my balcony.



No comments:

Post a Comment