Happiness is not a matter of intensity
but of balance, order, rhythm and harmony.
-- Thomas Merton

Saturday, August 28, 2010

Beautiful, Beautiful Zion


After I posted last night, Brett and I decided we wanted to enjoy stars. We drove to the Zion National Park Visitor's Center parking lot. We had beach chairs in the trunk and we set them up so that we could sit and look at the sky. Before long the clouds rolled in and then it began lightning. Brett got some awesome photos.

We got up early so that we could avoid the heat. We had planned to hike to Weeping Rock together. But my knee was acting up to the point that I couldn't move without pain. So I rode the
Zion shuttle throughout the park and Brett hiked to the Upper and Middle Emerald Pools. Because of the rain yesterday there was a waterfall and the river was full. About the time that the crowds rolled in and the park got hot, Brett and I had packed up the car and headed out.

The last stop on our awesome road trip is Las Vegas. It doesn't quite fit the other things we have been doing. We came here because it happens to be on our way home and Brett wanted to ride the roller coaster on the Stratosphere. I told him I would gladly take pictures. But the wind here is phenomenal and riding the coaster isn't even an option.

What a city this is! You can smoke inside; hire a gondolier to paddle you down a fake canal while serenading you; eat yourself silly; and get married with an Elvis impersonator as the officiant. This is so not my town. I miss my community, my own bed, my husband.....I will be glad to get home.

No comments:

Post a Comment