Happiness is not a matter of intensity
but of balance, order, rhythm and harmony.
-- Thomas Merton

Monday, August 23, 2010

Companionship

Brett and I were in four states today: Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota and South Dakota. We traveled just shy of 600 miles. Someone asked us over the weekend what was the longest stretch we went without talking. I said, "Whenever Brett is sleeping." We are enjoying each other's company. We listen to books on tape, podcasts and music. We are keeping track of all the license plates we see. Only 8 more states to go. A slug a bug war is ensuing. I think I am about seven sightings ahead of Brett. But mostly there is a comfort at being with each other. We laugh, tell stories, talk about how good it is to have family and tease each other.....all the time.

We arrived at our hotel tonight in the rain. The hotel has a water slide inside it. Brett convinced me to go down it twice. Then we saw this sunset. Life is filled with beauty. How lucky I am that I get to have this experience with Brett.

No comments:

Post a Comment